PNP: Bomb threats not meant to destabilize government
MANILA, Philippines — The bomb threats that hit various government offices and schools in Luzon on Monday were not meant to destabilize the administration of President Marcos, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said yesterday.
The prankster was not done yet as the individual, supposedly a Japanese lawyer, sent another bomb threat yesterday to the National Council for Children (NCC) in Quezon City.
While the bomb scares disrupted operations of the institutions that were hit, PNP public information officer Col. Jean Fajardo said there is no evidence that would suggest that the threats are related to any efforts to destabilize the government.
“So far we do not see any indication that would lead to that conclusion,” Fajardo said in a phone interview.
There were reports of alleged destabilization attempts after a word war erupted between Marcos and his predecessor, Rodrigo Duterte, who called the President a drug addict.
Marcos hit back at Duterte, saying the former leader was into the highly addictive painkiller fentanyl.
Fajardo noted that the hoax bomb threats had the same signature as the scare that hit government offices, public schools and a railway in September, October and December last year.
The threats, sent through email, were perpetrated by an individual who introduced himself as Takahiro Karasawa.
According to Fajardo, the bomb threats are not limited to the Philippines, as South Korea and Taiwan have received the same email.
The prankster struck again yesterday, sending a bomb threat to the NCC.
An employee of the NCC asked for help from the Quezon City Police District (QCPD) after receiving the email at around 7:30 a.m.
People were evacuated from the NCC building in Barangay Mariana as police searched for explosives.
QCPD director Brig. Gen. Redrico Maranan said no bomb was found in the building.
Three public schools in Taguig also received bomb threats yesterday, city police chief Col. Robert Baesa confirmed to The STAR.
The affected institutions are the University of Makati, Fort Bonifacio Elementary School and West Rembo Elementary School.
Upon inspection by the city’s bomb squad, Baesa said the threats turned out to be hoaxes.