5.2 quake rocks Samar; Mindanao death toll rises to 9
MANILA, Philippines — The number of reported deaths resulting from last Friday’s magnitude 6.8 earthquake that shook parts of Mindanao has increased to nine.
Eight of the fatalities are from the Soccsksargen region in Central Mindanao, which was the most affected, while one is from the Davao region.
Latest reports from the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said at least 15 people were injured.
The earthquake affected a total of 2,489 families or 12,885 persons from 20 barangays in the Davao region and 23 others from the Soccsksargen.
As of yesterday, there are no reported missing persons, and no families or individuals are staying in any evacuation center in affected provinces and localities.
The NDRRMC’s updated situational report said a total of 826 houses were damaged, of which 97 were totally destroyed, mostly in Region 12.
So far, there are no reported assessments or any information yet for estimated damage to agriculture and infrastructure.
NDRRMC spokesman Edgar Posadas said five of the fatalities are from the province of Sarangani, though he did not confirm that these include a mother and child who were reported buried under rubble in the municipality of Glan.
He said that three of those who died are from South Cotabato and one is from Davao Occidental, with the ninth fatality reported only yesterday morning also coming from Sarangani.
Posadas, in an interview over CNN Philippines, said the number of those injured is expected to rise as reports from the ground continue to be gathered.
President Marcos is “very concerned” about the magnitude 6.8 earthquake that hit Mindanao last week, Vice President Sara Duterte said, as she visited the quake-affected areas in the region.
“President BBM is very concerned about the earthquake in Mindanao and he has expressed his appreciation for the quick response of all concerned government agencies,” Duterte said on Sunday.
The Vice President visited funeral homes, hospitals and several other establishments in Sarangani province and General Santos City as the country’s caretaker, while Marcos is in the US for the APEC summit.
She said all Filipinos should take the disaster as a wake-up call