EDSA bus lane violators down: MMDA
THE Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) yesterday reported a sharp decrease in the number of motorists violating the exclusive bus lane on Epifanio de los Santos Avenue.
“From the 524 apprehensions last November 13, there were only 62 apprehended as of 10 a.m. today,” MMDA Chairperson Romando Artes said in a press briefing, attributing the decline to the stiffer fines being imposed on violators.
Fines start at 5,000 and can rise up to P30,000 plus the possible revocation of the driver’s license of the violator.
“The number of violators continues to decline but we will continue with our operations,” Artes said.
Last January this year, MMDA traffic enforcers accosted 493 violators of the EDSA bus carousel policy, 630 last February, 627 last March, 172 last April, 195 last May, 1,916 last June, 4,395 last July, 1,021 last August, 928 last September, 898 last October, and from November 1 to 10, 296 motorists.
Artes said the efficiency of their operation was not affected by the preventive suspension imposed on MMDA Task Force Special Operations chief Edison “Bong” Nebrija who wrongly claimed that Sen. Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. was in a vehicle flagged down last week for violating the Edsa bus lane.
Nebrija’s suspension will last from 15 to 30 days.